Thursday, October 4, 2007

Pitchers Domintate Game 1

Last night wasn’t so pretty. I was tired, in sweat pants, stuffing pizza into my mouth…it just wasn’t a good sight to see. Oh yeah, and the Cubs lost to Arizona 3-1. It wasn’t even close to being the best game ever watched or even anything I was expecting. After Derek Lee struck out in the first inning, I figured we had our work cut out for us. However, I’m refusing to blame Lee for this slow start. I blame it on a jinx my friend Ryan put on him before he even stepped up to the plate.

“Lee is probably going to strike out.”

I was too much in shock to knock on the coffee table. No one was even in the room to help me. When Lee was walking toward his dugout with his head down, I was shaking mine at Ryan. After that, things didn’t improve much. I couldn’t very well blame multiple Cubs’ strikeouts on Ryan, as much as I tried.

There is no doubt that the pitchers, from both teams, dominated the game. Zambrano was solid in his six innings on the mound, giving up one run on four hits, striking out eight, and walking only one. Piniella pulled him out of the game in the sixth inning, though fans weren’t sure as to why, putting in Marmol who gave up a home run in the seventh to push the D’backs ahead. As I watched Mark Reynolds’ ball fly over the outfield into the stands, I couldn’t help but think, “Why is Zambrano being taken out?”




"I took a shot with my bullpen, it didn't work today," he said. "We've done it all year. I have confidence in them. Period. End of the story."

Also, the Cubs’ manager wanted to save Zambrano for a potential start in Game 4 on Sunday. Ok, so Piniella knows what he’s doing…right? Big Z only pitched 85 pitches and seemed fairly capable to finish off the game. Would the Cubs have pulled off the game if the team's ace was left in? The world will never know.

What it comes down to is Arizona’s pitcher, Brandon Webb, earned the victory last night. He threw seven innings, allowed one run on four hits, and striking out nine. Webb pitched well and the Cubs did not hit. Soriano, who fans can usually count on to get on base, went 0-for-5. Lee went 1-for-4. When you only capitalize one run on four hits, you’re usually not going to come out on top.





That first game is now out of our minds and hopefully out of the Cubs’ system. We can only look forward to the rest of the series and the missed opportunities of last night will be fulfilled tonight. Or the next game. Or by the fifth game at least.

There was one benefit of staying up late to watch the game: the Aquafina commercial with Lou Piniella in it. I wish I could supply you with the actual clip, but sadly, I could not find it anywhere. Maybe it will run again tonight. If so, I’m staying up for sure.

Maybe the Cubs have gotten used to the desert air, and maybe the bullpen will come through tonight, and maybe the Cubs will win Game 2. Maybe? Nah, they will.

1 comment:

voiceofreason said...

I was in shock too when Piniella took Zambrano out of the game after the 6th. He was still pitching lights-out (other than the one solo shot). They need to realize that strategizing for later on in the series doesn't really work if your strategy gets you eliminated. I know our starting pitching is a little thin, but Big-Z could have held on for at least one more inning. But we all have 20/20 hindsight, you know?