Friday, October 5, 2007

It's Not Over


Every devoted fan goes through the "change" some time in their following of a team. And no, in case you are wondering, it's not the one 40-year-old women go through...although it does have some of the same aspects: hot flashes, bursting into tears at the drop of a pin, angry outbursts. Of course, I can only be talking about frustration. The art of frustration is known to all fans in every sport around the globe. It kills your mood but it does not kill your love for your team. I have to admit, last night was one full of frustration for me. The Cubs dropped Game 2 losing 8-4 to the Diamondbacks. Ted Lilly struggled, the Cubs failed to hit well, and I was frustrated.

I know we still have another game to turn this series around but it's hard to have the faith. There is, of course, no doubt that if the Cubs play the way they have the past two games, they're going down. Arizona is capitalizing on their hits whereas the Cubs are hitting the ball every couple of batters only to leave them stranded on base. It seems the only way we can get runs is to hit home runs and since there has only been one in the two games, that isn't something to rely on. The two loses have nothing to do with having bad luck or the curse of the billy goat...we're losing because Arizona is out playing us. Either it stops in Game 3 or the Cubs are done for another disappointing season.

Don't get me wrong. I'm going to watch Game 3 and cheer my little heart out. I still think, deep, deep down that we can take this thing into five games and make a great comeback.

Game 3 is going to be played at Wrigley Field (Yay for home games!) at 5:00 p.m. and hopefully the Cubs will start playing like they have all year long. GO CUBBIES!

While I'm cheering on the Cubs, might as well add something about my favorite college football team. Just to let you all know, a major upset will be taking place tomorrow night in West Lafayette, Indiana where the Boilermakers are going to defeat Ohio State. Tomorrow is going to be a great day for Cub fans and Purdue fans alike. Let's just hope frustration doesn't set in.






No comments: