Saturday, November 3, 2007

Lights, Camera, Action

Saturday afternoons are the perfect opportunities to catch some great movies on television and today has been no different. While flipping through the channels, I got glimpses of Jurassic Park III, Jaws, Blow, and the ND and Navy football game. Ok, the last one isn't a movie but it might as well be for as many times as they scan the Navy student section. There could not be a stadium filled with better looking men. But even those fellas in uniforms couldn't contain my itchy finger from changing the channel. I eventually ended up on Major League and have concluded that there needs to be a movie involving the Cubs. I don't have a story line, but that can be thought of later. We should probably focus on actors before anything.



I'm not going to run through the entire team but I'll just give you an idea about the kind of actors I'm thinking should be in the movie. To start off, for Piniella, I was thinking along the lines of Jack Nicholson. He's got that charm and yet could have the same fury that Lou brings to the field. Now, Mike Fontenot is going to be played by none other than Owen Wilson. Similar hair, the much loved nose, and of course that boyish, charming personality. Matt Dameon should play Ryan Theriot. Did you see him in The Bourne Ultimatum? Then you know why he should be in this movie. For my first choice to play Derrek Lee, I would choose Denzel Washington. But then I was thinking, would he be able to play baseball or give the illusion that he can? Washington is probably the most hardcore actor in terms of characters he's played, so he could undoubtedly handle this role. But for safety's sake, we'll go with a backup...Taye Diggs. And how about Benjamin Bratt to play Aramis Ramirez? Silent but deadly.



So, I've got the actors. Now we just need to think of a plot. I'll leave that to the skilled writers that will be hired. Maybe we can get writers from hits such as The Lion King, Field of Dreams, and Billy Madison. All three movies have a great story with adventure and a sense of accomplishment at the end. If we get writers from all three films, I think we could create some magic on the big screen.

If Major League can become such a great movie than surely a movie about the Chicago Cubs can do just as well. Everyone likes a story about an underdog and heck, maybe it will help them win. No one thought Boston would win the World Series when they started making Fever Pitch and look what happened. This movie needs to be realized. And maybe in a couple of years, I'll be watching Saturday afternoon flicks and come across a classic about the Cubs and remember that on such a Saturday, the movie began with one girl's dream.

It could happen.