Monday, November 5, 2007

I Take It Back


I've been thinking and I hope you all are as terrified as I am. Don't worry, it's not that big of deal. I do it all of the time, I swear. In case you are worrying, I'll let you in on some of the things that have been mulling around in my brain. Mainly, I have been wondering if I would be considered a hypocrite in the eyes of my peers.

This revelation has to do with one of my former posts when I, well, condemned bandwagon fans and those who purchase teams' clothing just because everyone else has them. What, you might ask, does this have to do with me? Well, my birthday is coming up (November 24 in case anyone cares) and of course Christmas so I've been thinking about some stuff I would like. Obviously I am a Cubs fan seeing as I write about the Chicago team and so I asked for a Fontenot jersey. I realized that I don't own any Cubs shirts and that I should probably start a collection sometime soon and what better time to start than my birthday.

And then it hit me. Could I be as bad as those fans who buy jerseys and hats because everyone else has them? The way I answered that question was "mostly no". I do own a Cubs hat and I wear it from time to time when my hair isn't cooperating or on the off chance that a shower was missed. Granted, I do not own any other Cubs merchandise and by asking for some for my birthday, it sort of puts me in the group I expressed my dislike for in my former post. But maybe by declaring my love for the team before I receive my jersey, it will exempt me from the harsh brutalities that other sports followers, including myself, inflict on such "pretend fans". At least I'm hoping that's the case.

So please, if you see me walking around campus in a brand new Fontenot jersey, have mercy. I am now taking back some of the things I said in my earlier post 1. to me more fair and less judgmental and 2. to save my own skin from the hawk-like eyes of fellow sports fans. Hey, I don't want to be called a hypocrite or a fake fan and so I'm saying sorry. Not everyone who goes out and buys new sports apparel are untrue fans or just simply jumping on the bandwagon. It was unfair for me to generalize all fans and I realize that now. So don't call me a hypocrite and don't judge me for wanting a new Cubs jersey. Yes it will be my first one, yes I have loved the Cubs for a while now, and no, I don't think that all Yankees fans are bandwagon riders.

And by I don't, I mean I do.

Aw, I'm just kidding.

No comments: