Monday, October 15, 2007

Sweet Lou

I am starting to hate the Cubs. I find myself sitting here for longer than I should, trying to find something to write about. I loved them when there were things to write about. Even if they lost, at least I could write something. I wrote about Ben Affleck in my last post for goodness sake. I hope that my contribution to this blog will not diminish simply because my team cannot pull through the post season. No, I refuse to submit myself to failure.

Let's talk about Lou.






Mr. Piniella is of course the fearless leader of the Chicago Cubs and in my opinion, has been doing an above average job in his managerial skills. For those of you who blame the Cubs losing the first game in their post season series with the D'backs, shame on you. Lou was doing what he thought best, keeping Zambrano rested, and that's all there is to it. Granted, he was being saved for Game 4; a game that ended up not even being played. But that whole situation is in the past.

Piniella has been managing baseball for 20 years now. He was named Manager of the Year in 1995 and 2001. He came to Chicago from Florida on October 17, 2006 when he signed a three-year deal. He has managed 3,100 games, has won 1,604 of them, and has 23 post season wins. I think that the Cubs are extremely lucky to have Lou Piniella as their manager. Sure, he may be a little grumpy or hot-headed at times, but he's skilled in the game of baseball and at the end of the day, you want someone like that to lead your team.

If you don't like the man, watch the Aquafina commercial. If you've already seen it, watch it again.

Not only is Piniella a great manager, he was once a great ballplayer. Some of his career highlights include the following: All-star in 1972, 1969 AL Rookie of the Year, and he led the AL in doubles in 1972 with 33. He's played for the Orioles, Indians, Seattle Pilots, Royals, and the Yankees. He was a Yankee for 11 years but I'm not going to hold that against him. I'll try not to at least.

Although he can be incredibly angry at times and seems to have several meltdowns on and off the field, there is no doubting that Piniella can manage a team. I feel very confident with him at the helm that the Cubs can continue to win and hopefully make it to the World Series. Lou "Sweet Lou" Piniella is the man.

No comments: