Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Yankees > Suck

Can I just rant for a minute?

Never mind, I don’t need anyone’s permission.

If you like a team just because they are winning, you annoy me. If you like a team just because everyone around you does, you annoy me. If you know nothing about baseball and you tell me that your favorite team is the Yankees, you annoy me to no end.

Last year, you could not walk around Purdue University without seeing new Detroit ball caps or St. Louis t-shirts. People who were in my classes every day suddenly turned up with new apparel supporting either team conveniently right around October. And I swear to you, if you ask someone who doesn’t follow baseball who they would say their favorite team was they would say the New York Yankees. Maybe this is one of the reasons I cannot stand the team. Or maybe it’s because they are completely overrated. Who really knows at this point?

Speaking of point, mine is this: pick a team and stick with them through it all. If you were a Cubs fan ten years ago then I salute you. If you have been watching ESPN and have seen that hey, the Cubs are in first place, and went and bought yourself a ball cap in red, white, and blue, just hope that I don’t run into you. Because if you’ve learned anything at all about me in this short, angry outburst of a post, it’s that I don’t like bandwagon fans. And also, that the Yankees are greater than or equal to suck. Sorry to all of you NY fans out there, but it had to be said. Compliments to my fellow Cubs fan and bud, Clay.



This is what a true fan looks like.

2 comments:

Headphones_on said...

Ah yes, the typical "Woe is me" cry of a Cubs fan. While the Cubs fans have been denouncing any team that has actually achieved any sort of success for the past who knows how many years, I think it is time for Cubs fans to look themselves in the mirror. You may not realize it, but everyone else in the baseball world is sick and tired of Cubs fans WHINING AND COMPLAINING. Trust me, we all know how awful your team has been for the past 80+ years, and we all know that you still continue to sell out Wrigley Field, support your team win or lose, believe that "there is always next year", yadda yadda yadda. While you complain about how there you are the only "true fans", and you "are sick of all the fake and bangwagon baseball fans", the truth of the matter is everyone is sick of you and your self-righteous ways. No one really cares how long you have been supporting your losing team. It doesn't make you a better person, a better fan, a better fan base, or a better anything. Your team can be awful and that's fine, but please, step down from mound and stop preaching about it.

yum1234 said...

well I also have to say I love the cubs! My family has been a fan for years and I even went to a few games last year!

It's great that they are doing so good this year, I hope they can keep it up!

Love your blog too.